Starting a new job requires that you update your resume or CV to reflect such a new role. In some cases, it might be acquiring a new certification or degree that necessitates that you update your resume. In such situations, you may need to delete your old resume on LinkedIn and update it with the new one.
In this post, I will walk you through how to remove your resume on LinkedIn and update it with a new one.
How To Remove Resume From Linkedin
Below are the steps on how to remove a resume from LinkedIn
1. Log in to your LinkedIn account:
Go to the LinkedIn website and log in with your credentials
2. Go to your profile
Your profile is usually labelled “Me”, with your image at the topmost part of your LinkedIn page.
3. Click on the Click on the ‘Settings and Privacy’ option.
4. Go to “Data Privacy”
On the left, tabs like Account Preferences, Sign In and Security, Visibility, and Data Privacy will be displayed. Click on the ‘Data Privacy’ tab.
5. Scroll Down to “Job Seeking Preference”
The “Job Seeking Preference” Section has ‘Job application settings, Share your profile when you click Apply for a job, Signal your interest to recruiters at companies you’ve created job alerts for and Stored job applicant accounts.’
Please click on Job Application Settings.
6. Click on the dotted lines beside the resume you wish to delete
In the image above, I wish to delete my last resume/CV labelled ‘Linda Samuel Chinecherem.” I simply click on delete from the pop-down menu, and there you have it: that resume/CV is automatically deleted from LinkedIn.
Types of Resumes on LinkedIn
Two types of resumes can be uploaded on LinkedIn.
1. Featured Media Section
LinkedIn’s featured media area allows us to post media files to our profiles. These files comprise presentations, essays, and internet links, among other things. This area can be used to display your résumé on your profile.
2. Easy Apply
When you click on any job ad on LinkedIn, the ‘Easy Apply’ option appears at the bottom of the screen. This option enables you to apply for the position swiftly and conveniently. A new window will appear once you click on Easy Apply. There is a ‘Upload Resume’ option as you progress through the application process. Fill out all of the required information, attach your résumé, and submit the application.
How to Remove Resume From LinkedIn Using Easy Apply
LinkedIn stores previous resumes that you used while applying for jobs. The platform stores up to four resumes that you have previously utilized. However, you may need to customize your CV based on the job availability.
To do this, you must erase the previous resumes that were automatically stored by following a few easy procedures.
1. Log in to your LinkedIn account
Step 2: In the upper right corner of the window, click the ‘Me’ button. On the screen, a drop-down menu will appear. Select the ‘Settings and Privacy’ tab.
Step 3: Account Preferences, Sign In and Security, Visibility, and Data Privacy will be presented on the left. Select the ‘Data Privacy’ tab.
Step 4: The Data Privacy page has settings for the data you’ve submitted to LinkedIn, your activity history, job preferences, search history, message preferences, and so on. Scroll down to the box under ‘Job Seeking Preferences.’
Step 5: Select the ‘Job Application Settings’ tab. On the screen, there will be two alternatives. Each choice will have a toggle on the right side. There are two options:
Save uploaded resumes and answers to application centres
Share your resume data with all recruiters.
Step 6: Click the toggle next to the first option and select ‘Off.’ The toggle will become grey.
Step 7: Below the second selection, you will see the previously uploaded resumes. Click the ellipsis (three-dot) icon next to the file, then select ‘Delete’ from the drop-down menu.
You can afterwards upload another resume file to the same section. The updated résumé will be kept for future ‘Easy Apply’ applications.
Why do people want to remove resumes from LinkedIn?
There might be several reasons for removing a CV from LinkedIn. To obtain a job in a hopeless scenario, people might tend to exaggerate a bit.
Later, maybe after they have found a position that matches their ‘real’ credentials, they may wish to delete their résumé from LinkedIn to avoid any unpleasant situation.
As a result, people may choose to replace their old resume with a new one prepared using a better resume template and delete their old resume from LinkedIn.
How Can You Upload a Resume On LinkedIn?
You may preserve and display your professional history and qualifications on your profile in a variety of ways.
You may submit a pre-made file under your Job Applications Settings and make it visible to recruiters. This way, your profile will appear when they are looking for new staff so that they can assess your skills and contact you with employment offers.
Putting your CV in the highlighted area is another approach to demonstrate your knowledge and work experience.
These strategies are appropriate for those who are comfortable disclosing their personal contact information and comprehensive employment histories. However, not everyone wants to make their resume public.
No need to worry because LinkedIn allows you to post your document while keeping it private.
Below are 3 methods to upload your CV on LinkedIn
1. Submit a resume as part of the job application process.
When browsing for opportunities on LinkedIn, when the LinkedIn Easy Apply option is available, you may easily upload your resume to the job opening.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Look for a specific job title in any place that interests you.
- In the search box, type the relevant job title, skill, or firm.
- Use the filters just below the search box to narrow down your results. You may pick the job kind, income range, and degree of experience, among other things.
- You can also use the filters area to reveal job posts with the Easy Apply function by clicking the “Easy Apply” button.
- To view information and criteria, click on the job title you wish to apply for.
- When you click the job you want, all job post data will appear on the right side of the screen. You’ll learn about the job’s scope, needs, location, and other relevant details.
- Select the Easy Apply option.
- After clicking the “Easy Apply” button, you will be prompted to provide your name, email address, phone number, and home address. Make sure to fill out all of the essential fields.
- Under “Resume,” choose “Upload Resume.”
- Look for your resume on your computer or device, then click Upload and Next. Resumes in.doc ,.docx, and.pdf formats will only be accepted.
- When done, fill out all essential fields and submit your application.
- After you submit your resume, you will be asked to fill out a few more mandatory areas with further information about yourself. Fill out all of the forms, double-check your information, and then click “Submit.”
- When the job poster gets your resume, LinkedIn will notify you of application updates.
2. Upload a résumé to your LinkedIn profile.
LinkedIn saves your four most recent resumes, making it simple to access and reuse them for future job applications. Resumes submitted in this manner are not available to the general public.
Here are steps on how to go about it:
- Go to your LinkedIn menu bar and select “Me.”
- Click the drop-down menu and choose “Settings & Privacy.”
- On the left sidebar, click “Data privacy” and then “Job application settings.”
- Click “Upload Resume” under “Manage your resumes” and browse your file on your computer or smartphone. Select the “Save and manage your resumes and answers” option.
3. Include a resume on your LinkedIn profile.
You may easily upload your resume to your LinkedIn profile under the Featured section. This section is ideal for presentation decks, portfolio links, and published articles, but you may also submit a résumé file.
Here are the steps:
- Click the “Add profile section” button, which is located beneath your LinkedIn profile photo and title.
- In the pop-up box that appears, click “Add featured.”
- Click the addition (+) icon and then choose “Add media.”
- A pop-up window will appear. Choose your resume from your computer or mobile device. Select “Upload.”
- After uploading your CV, users may find it in the Featured area of your LinkedIn profile, underneath your About Me section.
Viewers can read and download your resume straight from your profile page if you enable this option. If you are concerned about your privacy, this option may not be suitable.
How to Edit Your Resume on LinkedIn?
A good professional maintains their CV up to date at all times. To keep your online CV up to date, either remove the old version and submit a new one or change your resume on LinkedIn.
There are several methods for altering a CV before uploading or deleting it. However, you cannot change all sorts of resume files since documents posted in job application settings cannot be updated. As a result, deleting the prior file and uploading an updated version is unavoidable.
However, you may still make changes to the versions you created with Resume Builder or have shown on your profile.
Here are 3 proven methods on how to Edit your CV on LinkedIn:
1. Editing Featured Section
To make changes to the featured CV;
Navigate to the Add Profile Section.
Select Add Featured from the Recommended menu.
Click the Edit button under the previous version in the highlighted section settings.
You may now modify the description, associated file, and CV title.
2. To update saved versions;
To update previously stored versions;
Navigate to the Resume Builder by selecting More >> Build A Resume.
To access the settings menu, click the three dots.
Select Edit and make any necessary changes to Education, Skills, Experience, or Contact information.
3. Download Resume on LinkedIn and Edit
You should preserve a duplicate of the prior CV before deleting it from the internet database. To accomplish this,
Navigate to Account & Privacy (me >> Account & Privacy).
Then, navigate to Job Seeking Preferences >> Job Application Settings (Data Privacy >> Job Seeking Preferences >> Job Application Settings).
Click on the three dots next to the uploaded file.
To save the file to your PC, click the Download option.
You may also convert and save your LinkedIn profile as a well-organized CV. Simply click the More icon next to the profile name and select Download as PDF.
The Advantages of Adding a Resume on LinkedIn
There are several benefits to posting your CV on LinkedIn.
Recruiters and hiring managers may easily view your resume when you publish it to LinkedIn. If a recruiter is interested in what you have to offer, they may easily obtain your resume via your LinkedIn profile.
Including your CV on LinkedIn informs recruiters and your contacts that you are seeking for work.
LinkedIn leverages your résumé to propose jobs, tailor your feed, and grow your network.
LinkedIn resume – Best practices and tips
Before you upload your CV to LinkedIn, make sure it is optimized for digital gatekeepers known as Applicant Tracking Systems (ATS). Otherwise, your CV may not be seen by human recruiters.
Here are some pointers:
- Keep your resume brief and to the point.
- The chronological resume format should be used.
- Emphasize applicable abilities and experiences.
- Only include experiences that are relevant to the position.
- Use data and metrics to demonstrate demonstrable results.
- Avoid the use of jargon and fluff.
- Headers, footers, tables, charts, and graphics should not be used. Some ATS cannot appropriately interpret them.
- Make your resume relevant to the job you’re looking for.
Potential Problems and Solutions When Deleting Your Resume on LinkedIn
Navigating through LinkedIn’s UI might occasionally create unanticipated difficulties. Although deleting a résumé may appear to be simple, glitches might emerge. Let’s look at some of the most typical concerns with the procedure and how to fix them:
1. The Vanishing Act
Have you ever erased your résumé only to discover it staring back at you? This might be a transient caching problem. Consider refreshing your page and/or deleting the cache in your browser.
2. Finding ‘Featured’
Having trouble finding the ‘Featured’ section? This area may not show because you have not yet uploaded any documents or media. If you’ve already uploaded material, be certain you’re looking in the correct section of your profile.
3. Browser Blues
LinkedIn, like many other platforms, might operate differently depending on the browser (Chrome, Edge, etc.). If you’re having trouble, try using a different browser to visit LinkedIn. For optimum performance, make sure you have the most recent version.
4. Problems with Devices
Using LinkedIn on a Mobile Device? The UI differs somewhat from that of the desktop version. Make sure you’re using the LinkedIn app or a mobile-friendly browser to access the platform.
5. LinkedIn Lifeline
If you’re completely stumped, don’t be afraid to contact LinkedIn for help. They are available to assist you and can lead you through any persistent difficulties.
Can you use your LinkedIn profile to build a resume?
Yes. LinkedIn includes a Resume Builder function that lets you generate a resume using the information on your LinkedIn accounts. Using your current LinkedIn data, you will be able to create a professional CV in seconds. This free program generates the resume automatically and allows you to download it in PDF format right away.
Conclusion: How To Remove Resume From Linkedin
I hope this tutorial on how to remove resume from LinkedIn has provided you with the necessary procedures and has been useful to you.
If you have any questions or need help understanding a step, please leave them in the comments. I am devoted to providing the best answers to your questions as quickly as possible.
FAQs on How To Remove Resume From LinkedIn
Is it possible to restore a LinkedIn resume that has been deleted?
No, once a file is removed from LinkedIn, it cannot be recovered, whether it be your CV or another document. When you click delete in the program settings or the featured area, a pop-up will notify you that this action is irreversible.
Is it possible to hide or make my LinkedIn resume private?
Yes, you may save your CV and keep it private on LinkedIn.